Saturday, January 7, 2012

Quick Write: Rap Music

For the longest time I absolutely despised rap. I never listened to it and hated having to listen to it on the radio. The first time that I realized that maybe something else was going on is when I saw an interview with Krist Novoselic, the old bass player for Nirvana, called "What's in my Bag?" which consisted of him telling the camera what he was buying at this record store in LA. One of his choices that really surprised me was Little Wayne's Tha Carter III. He said that his nephew had gotten him into the genre and that he really liked it, calling it original and creative. That's when I stopped and considered that maybe there was something else going on there that I hadn't embraced yet. My criteria for music was that there had to be real instruments. Soon after, I started listening to Radiohead and before I knew it, I was really getting into some of their electronic songs like Idioteque and Myxomatosis. I also got into Foster the People which, although there ARE guitars, features lots of electronic effects. Then, I went to Seattle over winter break and spent time with my cousin, who is really into rap music. With lots of exposure, I started listening to any song he was playing to see if I liked it. I actually DID find some songs that actually stood out to me. Although I still like rock music much more than rap music, I will never demonize it again like I had in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment