Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Quick Write: Hockey

Don't know how I haven't done a quick write about hockey yet. It's one of the main things I do. I started playing when I was in first grade-right when the rink opened. Out of all my relatives, only my godfather plays hockey. He is one of the main reasons I started playing. I was probably seven or eight at the time. I remember my first hockey practice. The youth hockey program was brand new, and not many of the kids, including me, had hockey gear. In fact, all I had on my first practice was a stick and a borrowed helmet. It's kind of funny to think back to that, and now look at me.
I've seen the hockey program and community grow as the years went by. When I was a squirt, we began to have travel teams that traveled to anchorage to compete with other people. Then, the high school program started. Its games instantly became the biggest events the rink had. Now, JDIA (Juneau Douglas Ice Association) is a thriving program, with more kids signing up every year. Kids can start playing when they're three years old. Considering that most of the kids on the high school team didn't start skating until they were eight, it's going to be exciting to see how good the team is in a few years with kids with even more hockey under their belt.
This is the third year that I'm on the JDHS hockey team, my first as a varsity player.

No comments:

Post a Comment